Salt is meant here is sodium. And table salt is the main source of sodium.The purposes of low salt diet are:
1. Helps to eliminate the accumulation of salt / water in body tissues.
2. Helps to lower blood pressure when there is high blood pressure.
Causes of sodium accumulation in the body
Sodium present in almost all foods derived from animals and plants. All people need sodium but they often get it more than body requirements. Excess sodium will be excreted through the kidneys. At a certain body disorder, the body can not remove the excess of sodium. This salt would remain in the body tissues and bind water resulting in swelling or edema. To get rid of this swelling you need to run low-salt diet.
What Foods contain a lot of sodium?
Sodium naturally exist in food or added thereto. Foods of animal origin usually contain more sodium than foods derived from plants.
Sodium are added to foods are usually in the form of bond:
- Sodium chloride or table salt.
- Mono-sodium glutamate or MSG.
- Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda.
- Sodium Benzoate, which is used to preserve fruits.
- Sodium bisulfite, or saltpeter to preserve meats such as corned beef.
Foods are allowed in low salt diet:
1. All fresh or processed foods with no sodium derived from plants such as:
- Rice, sticky rice, sweet potatoes, maize, hunkwe, flour, sugar.
- Nuts and beans products, such as green beans, red beans, peanuts.
- Cooking oil, margarine without salt.
- Vegetables and fruits.
- Spices, such as garlic, scallions, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, galangal, galangal, chilli, bay leaf, lemon grass leaf, vinegar.
2. Raw foods derived from animals in limited quantities:
- Meat or chicken or fish at most 100 grams a day.
- Chicken eggs or duck eggs at most 1 grain a day.
- Fresh milk at most 2 glasses a day. 100 grams of meat contain sodium by an amount equal to 2 chicken eggs or 1 cup milk.
- Brain, kidney, lung, heart and shrimp contain more sodium, these foods should be avoided.
Foods that are not allowed in low salt diet:
All foods was given sodium in its processing, such as:
- Bread, biscuits, crackers, cakes and other pastries are cooked with salt or soda.
- Erky, shredded, corned beef, salami, bacon, ham, boiled fish, sardines, dried shrimp, salted eggs, boiled eggs.
- Cheese, cheese from peanuts (peanut butter).
- Margarine, butter.
- Pickles, pickled vegetables, canned vegetables.6. Pickled fruit, candied fruit, canned fruit.
- Salt, MSG, baking soda, soy sauce, shrimp paste, pastes, taoco, tomato ketchup.
The correct way to cook:
Insipidity can be changed using spices are not contain sodium such as onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, turmeric, etc. Frying, sautéing or grilling food can also leave a fresh taste of foods.
You may read: Health Benefits Of Music Therapy.
One way to remove sodium from margarine is as below:
Mix the margarine with water and cook it until boiling. Margarine will melt and sodium contained in it will dissolve in water.- Cooling margarine by inserting ice into it, or put it in to refrigerator. Margarine will be hard to back, and get rid of water containing sodium. Do this 2 times.